Monday, February 15, 2010

Let's talk about Love

Interesting that the cardiologist is the one spending all the time going on and on about love, and seeming so far off in his beliefs regarding love. But what, really, is love? Discussing love is like discussing what salt tastes like...it's...salty...? So instead of talking about what love is, we discuss what love isn't. Love isn't (or shouldn't be) so codependent that it becomes abusive and unhealthy. True love, arguably, isn't impermanent. So what we talk about when we talk about love, is really the opposite of love.
Just a side note:
My husband and I moved to Athens five days after we got married. The second or third week, we were attending church, and the Sunday school lesson was on having a happy marriage or something like that. The teacher asked me something about how my husband and I resolve our disagreements, and all these other women started raising their hands and saying "oh, she's only been married a month at the most!! She doesn't know anything about disagreements yet! Let me tell you how awful it can be sometimes...". And off they went on some of the horrible experiences they'd had in their marriages. This story reminded me of that experience-the idea of being newly wed, and everyone telling me how much it would suck for the next few years. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment