Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"They give up everything to serve the Republic"

What have we become when instead of building monuments to those who died in war, we instead use photographs of the safe that survived Hiroshima to sell the product. "Look what devastation this inanimate object can survive" instead of "look what devastation we humans don't blink an eye about". While society draws closer to space, we fail to draw closer to those around us, "When I crouch to my television set, the drained faces of Negro school-children rise like balloons". What a sad poem.

1 comment:

  1. And is that Republic deserving of our service? I got home from class and watched about 45 minutes of 'Pearl Harbor' with my wife; that was interesting viewing after Lowell's poem. Yes, 12/7/41 was a horrific day, but I of course could not shake the knowledge of what we ended up doing in return with the atom bomb. I'm conflicted to be an American sometimes...

    Fragmentation?
    Puzzlement?

    You bet!!!

    ReplyDelete