Monday, February 15, 2010

round here we talk just like lions but we sacrifice like lambs

Philip Levine
All his animal references have me quite distracted this week, especially since my house has been inundated with the story "Click, Clack, Moo" as of late. All that aside, I think I'm really digging on Levine. This is my first experience with him, and there's something in the dignity of these poems' characters that really resonates with me. "They Feed They Lion", full of this anger that builds throughout the poem leaves me wondering what this lion-like anger will accomplish? It seems that while it comes from the suffering of the weak, it's going to devour whatever is in its path, those from which it comes included.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I ever thought about Click, Clack, Moo when I read Levine before, but darn it, I will now.

    ReplyDelete